Research Opportunities/Credit

Looking for a research opportunity?Summer Research Opportunities in the US
Already have a research opportunity and need to enroll for credit?

Looking for a research opportunity?

  • Follow the steps outlined on the Biocommons website to identify and contact potential research mentors for unadvertised research opportunities.
  • Check the Student Job Center for paid opportunities.
  • Look at the list of Summer Research Opportunities in the US.
  • The International Internship Program (IIP) has a searchable database of internships available during the school year and summer - many are research-based in a variety of settings (university, government, or private research labs).
  • Many universities offer summer REUs (Research Experiences for Undergraduates), where you can participate in a research project at a different university than the one you currently attend.  The National Science Foundation has a database of REUs, or you can search on individual university websites for other REU options.

Summer Research Opportunities in the US

Already have a research opportunity and need to enroll for credit?


If your mentor is in the Department of Biochemistry:

You will enroll in Biochemistry 299 if you are a freshman/sophomore, or Biochemistry 699 if you are a junior/senior.  1 credit = 3-5 hours of research work per week. To enroll in these courses, follow these steps:

  1. Review and complete the Independent Study Agreement Form with your research professor and primary mentor.  Fill out as much as possible in the PDF form electronically before printing and obtaining signatures.
  2. Bring a completed copy of pages 2 and 3 to the undergraduate advisor in room 1142C, HF DeLuca Biochemistry Building (420 Henry Mall) for course authorization.  E-mails from faculty or old course authorization forms with signatures only will no longer be accepted.
  3. Once authorized, the undergraduate advisor will e-mail you letting you know you are able to add the course.  Please add your mentor's section of the appropriate course (299 or 699) to your schedule via your Student Center, even if the class appears closed.  As you add the class you will be asked to select the number of credits for which you are enrolling.

Click to Download Independent Study Agreement Form

If your mentor is in a different department:

  • Contact that department for information on enrolling for research credit.

Not sure what department your mentor is in?

  • Ask your mentor about how to enroll for research credit under him/her.  He/she may know about the process from working with other students.
  • Otherwise, in Class Search (in your Student Center), use the "Instructor Last Name" field (near the bottom of the page) and enter your mentor's name. Look for course results with the numbers 299 or 699.  Identify the subject/department that offers 299 or 699 with your mentor as the instructor and contact that department about enrolling.