- Please tell us a little about yourself.
Where did you grow up? Go to school?
I was born in Providence RI and raised in Durham, NC. Went to undergrad at UC Berkeley, grad at CU Boulder
- Where did you carry out your postdoctoral research?
Cambridge University, UK
- As a child, who was your biggest influence?
As a kid, my parents. As a teen, Bob Dylan.
- Why did you decide to study science?
I found animal development amazing and wanted to understand how it worked.
- Why did you come to Madison? When?
1983. Several reasons: I’ve always been a strong supporter of public universities, UW-Madison is exceptional in both depth and breadth, and Madison seemed like a great place to live.
- What do you like most about being a professor?
Essentially everything – except perhaps the ever-increasing bureaucracy.
- What is the focus of your research?
Molecular regulation of stem cell self-renewal and differentiation
- What do you consider your major accomplishments?
I’ve been lucky to have made a few contributions which are listed in my biosketch.
- What advice would you provide to a new assistant professor who is just starting his/her career?
Remember to breathe!
- When you are not working, what do you like to do?
- What is your favorite place in Madison?
The trail from Raymer’s Cove to Picnic Point
- Favorite Quote
“One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.” - Robert Frost
- Friends Describe Me
Hmmm, good question.
- Fantasy Dinner Guests
At the moment, I most want the people in my lab to be able to come over.
- Best Advice I Ever Received
When you go to a job or grant interview, just be yourself.
- My Worst Subject In School
- If I Weren't A Professor, I Would
Good question, depends on when you ask. Today? I might run for Congress.
- In College I Drove
- Favorite Books
From my youth: A Mathematician’s Apology and The Prime of Life: The Autobiography of Simone de Beauvoir
More recently: Janesville: An American Story, Evicted, Just Mercy, Hillbilly Elegy, and Grounded: A Senator's Lessons on Winning Back Rural America
- Favorite City
- Favorite Movie
Most recently: Parasite
- Favorite Coffee
Black and simple, preferably French press but I learned in the UK that Nescafe works just fine
- Current Research
RNA regulatory networks and their control of stem cell self-renewal
- My Latest Accomplishment
- Shoveling the six feet deep bank of snow that the snow plow left.
- Nobody Knows I…
- Hated London until Marv convinced me that it is heaven on earth
- Was a faculty member for two years at the University of Copenhagen Medical School (lowest possible rank), before grad school.